[or-roots] Re: Giving Flesh to Oregon History

Helen Cast hcast01 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 17 13:21:33 PST 2003

I have a cousin that has just finished writing a book about his ancestors. He explained it like this. He researched & collected all the pertinent information, dates & places etc then he did further research & started putting flesh to his family. What he meant was, he gave them life. So much of our genealogy is not about giving our lost ones life but death. I say that because I remember when I first started finding family members that I never knew personally, & most of the time I never knew they even existed, when I would finally sit down & start entering them into my files I felt like I was burying them all over again & sometime the tears would stream. I wasn't fortunate enough to have what it took to give them life.
This is what Cecil does. He brings the people from his past up out of the grave & gives them life. He does it so unselfishly & so well
that it is a terrible loss to us all if we are denied his great knowledge of the history of Oregon.
I have no idea how this all started but it looks like the loser won. Who ever that person is, is a person that is only interested in birth dates & death dates & I feel sorry for her/him because she/he has no idea what genealogy is all about.
I want to say one final thing. You have severed a huge portion of Oregon history from your list.

My Warmest Regards & Regrets,
Helen
Home is on The Beautiful DelMarVa Peninsula

hcast01 at comcast.net