[or-roots] Re: Leabo bios

Marsha Bradley-Luthy pmml at navicom.com
Tue Mar 4 15:02:57 PST 2003

I have included what I have, on the computer
Most of my info is not on the computer I have a room full. Are you close to Salem, Oregon?
I have pictures of the children and would like to share with Whom ever needs the info
Salem Archives discount most of the family lore, and when Nancy died the children
were raised by brother.  Polly Lewis married JJLeabo's brother Isiac Lewis, she seemed
to embelish there immigration to a point of fantasey.  She clamied JJLeabo's children
as her own in paper's filed to State Archives. (just a tid bit) love to share your connection with
this
family?  I work with one of Thomas Bentons Chilren  and he has masses of info.
pmml at navicom.com

Ahnentafel Chart for Josiah Joseph LEABO

First Generation

1. Josiah Joseph LEABO[1] was born 16 May 1830 in , Iowa. He died 17 Feb 1904 in Clackmas, Co., Or..
My Father Thomas Benton Leabo(written by miles) was born July 18 1856 in
Benton Co. Nebraska he was the son of Josiah Leabo he had two brothers and
five sisters.  When he was about 8 years of age Grandfather decided to move to
Oregon.

They started with a wagon train grand father was captain of the train or Major
they were called, they had many hard times coming across, being attact by
indians many times, I remember father telling about grand mother putting them
to bed between feather mattresses tokeep the indian arrows from going through.

At one time the indians stole nearly all of their cattle.  The indians drove
them into a canyon, grandfather wouldn't let the men from the train go in
agter them as he was sure it was an ambush.  When the indians saw their plan
didn't work they drove the cattle out in sight and dared them to come and get
them. After that they had to work the mild cows.  The train came through Utah.
 The first train through after the Mountain Meadow Massacre father picked up a
silver mug with 6 teasoons was around the house for years.  I don't know what
became of it.

They spent one winter in eastern oregon Enterprise I think anyway the snow was
over the backs of the cattle.  They would bunch up in bunchsand the snow would
melt aroud them.  Grandfather had tothrow hay down to them from the top of the
snow.  They lost a lot of their cattle there.

They came to the Columbia river(the Dalles I suppose) where they built rafts
to float their wagons and cattle down the river.  I remember father telling
about portageing around the rapids at Cascade Locks.  They went on down the
Clolumbia and upthe Willamette to Oregon Cilty I suppose.  Then Grandfather
took his family and went to the coast.  They lived for awhile on Yaquina bay.
I don't know how long they stayed there, then they moved tothe Wilamette
Valley abd settled around gervis.
----------------------------------------------------------------- STONE, Effie
May,  May 18, 1888  Nov. 18, 1907
     Mildred Hazel,  Jan. 20, 1902  Dec.27, 1920
          Daughters of Wm. & Jane Stone
     William,  Jan. 28, 1864  Aug. 14, 1921

HIGHLAND CEMETERY, Hamilton, Caldwell County, Missouri To 1992 Located:
Hamilton Township,  Section 15, Township 57, Range 28 1.3  miles West of
Junction Business 36 and 13 Highways

North East Corner--Section N 1/2  6
CRIST, Caroline V.,
     Phillip V.,

------------------------------------------------------------------ Without
getting into my files all I can say is that it was Nancy E. Stone Leabo's
parents. She was born in Ray Co. MO according to what I have.
Josiah went to Oregon in 1849 just after marriage (in Atchison Co., MO) and
visited his  brothers and cousins who were already here in OR and then went
thru CA gold fields on the way home. As nnoted in another answer The family
was in Richardson Co., NEB in 1860 USs census.

LLG------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some of the census records I was searching for. It has Nancy Stone
Leabo ( Mrs Josiah) with daughter Unicy. Also found Jacob and his family in
1850. This is on the back of a typed draft of Leabo family with a partial
history and some 1870 Oregon US Census information. It says that Isaac Leabo
camr\e to Oregon in 1846. John G. Leabo came to Oregon in 1852. Information on
his estate and the estate of John McBee are in the miscellaneous files in
Marion Co., OR. some of this material was in my mother's files at Monmouth.
There is a page size copy of the toombstone rubbing of Nancy Leabo and Josiah
J. Leabo. The toombstone says she was born in Ray co. MO.

1850 Iowa Census
Fremont Co., Iowa, District No. 22,   5 Sept 1850

83- 83 Jerreb Stone 56 Farmer   S.C.
              Jane    "          50                    Ky
             Cindarilla "      16       MO
              Lucinda   "       13              MO
              Mary       "         11   MO
              Nancy  Lebo   18                 MO
              Eunice       "      6/12  MO

Linn Co. Iowa

745/764    Jacob Leabo    52    Farmer    1300  TENN
        Elizabeth  "       44                       KY
        Orsena      "        20              IND
        Oradon      "        17              IND
        Ellen   "        14                  IND
        Oscar         "         13                   Iowa
        Augustus   "          7              Iowa

748     Francis M. Leabo   22   Farmer  150    IND
        Marial    ?     "             23                 OH
        Helen S.        "           3/12                          Iowa

In one of my later research books I found a William J. LeBow in 1880 Clark
co., WA. He was accompanied by a child Eunice.!? He was born in Tenn.

Hope this is helpful.

LLG
Josiah married[1] Nancy E. STONE[1] on 1852/1853. Nancy was born 14 Aug 1831 in Cloud, Co., Mo.. She
died 18 Sep 1889 in Ore., Clackmas, Co. and was buried in Rock Creek, Cemetery, Hubard, Msrion Co
Or..

Second Generation

2. Noah LEABO[1] was born 11 Jan 1785 in , , Virgina, U.S.A.. He died 25 Nov 1879 in , Clackamas
Co., Oregon, U.S.A.. Noah married Unicy GILLETTE on 11 Feb 1812 in Cocke Co, Va..
Noah Leabo m 1812 IN to Gillett Eruice; b 1795 d. 1858 NES8-7#32 Above
document 14
Doc #15 shows land claime #893
Isearch-cgi 1.20.06 (File: stevensk.txt)

Surname index of Frank E. Stevens 1914 History of Lee County Illinois Indexed
by
Dave Needham, 1996.
Lee County Genealogical Society
PO Box 63
Dixon, IL 61021-0063
A "B" next to the page number designates the Biographical volume #2.
All other page numbers are from the Historical volume #1.
Name, Page / Vol.,
Leabo,Noah,502,

Return information on Lee Co. Ill shows that he was in the neigboring co.
Holt Co.

HOLT COUNTY HISTORY

                     Holt County is located in the northwest corner of
Missouri and was organized 29 January 1841 from territory acquired in the
Platte Purchase. Holt County is named for David Rice Holt, a Missour
legislator from Platte County. The county was originally named Nodaway County
but the name was changed 17 days later to honor  Mr. Holt who died during the
legislative session. It is bounded on the north by Atchison County; on the
northeast by Nodaway County and on the southeast by Andrew County. The
Missouri River forms a natural boundary to the south and west. Across the
Missouri River is Richardson County, NE to the west and Doniphan County, KS to
the south. The Holt County seat is located in Oregon, MO. The county
population was slightly less than 6,000 in the 1990 census

Message text written by Marsha Bradley-Luthy
>Have a picture of her.  I also have a picture of a family grouping of  the
McBee family.  Noah is burried in needy Cemetery

<
Marsha I have walked what was referred to as Needy cemetery i.e. Rock Creek
Church Cemeterey where Josiah & Nancy Leabo are buried and did not find
anything for Noah Leabo. Have you found anything definite that he is there.
There are so many other places he could have been with his other son's or
daughters in Oregon and Washington that it would be hard to trace him.

As I told you before I haave a rubbing of Josiah and Nancy's toombstone.
Guess I should find it and send it to you.

LLG

 Thanks for the list. Has anyone found the final resting place for Noah Leabo
who would have died around 1880 in Oregon or Washington. Also  his wife Unicy
Gillette who apparently died in Atchison Co. MO between 1850 and 1860. She and
Noah were on the 1850 census there but Noah was with his son Josiah in
Richardson Co. NEB in 1860.

The  McBee is Unicy Mary Jane Leabo McBee who married George Washington McBee.
I barely remember meeting her and talking to her. She died in 1942  I think.
Will have to go look it up now.

LLGilson

3. Unicy GILLETTE[1] was born 17 Jul 1795. She died 18 Aug 1881 in Molla, Oregon and was buried in
Neb..
cxfile#1

have Unicy Gillette Dying in Salem Nebraska?

Doc #4 states death in Nebraska not confermed

Doc 13
Doc#15 Land claime list 893
Unicey Marry Jane Leabo           m. George McGee d. Jan 17, 1933 bDec 8, 1848
                           May 1868
Clound Co. Mo.
d. 1941 age 92

children      (5 boys, 1 girl)
john
Leonard
Daisy    m. Hughes
George (Called Tude)
Pearl
Third Generation

4. Francis Isaac LEABO[1] was born 1754 in Noirville, Normandy, France. He died 30 May 1853 in
VanVuskirk cemte, Gosport, Owen, Indiana. Francis married Sarha JENNINGS before 1784 in Virginia.
Residence France, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee and Indiana.

Farmer and Slave holder

Revolutionary war Captain St. Leger Regiment.

Father LaBas
Info on file under Catherine Leabo-Martha  Shelleys infor filed # rin 101

FromHenniretta Moss From Lorene and Dale Leabo of Canby Oregon.

We only have a brief sketch of our clans first Family
   Francois Isaac Le Bas came to America with General Marquis DeLafayette in
1779.  He was born in Normandy, France about 1754.  He died around 1840 at
Gosport, Indianna at the home of his daughter Catherine Leabo Buskirk and is
buried in the Buskirk cemetery, one and half miles southeast of Gosport.
This is a historical cemetery, having soldiers buried there from every war of
the United States with the exception of the world war. It is named "little
Arlinton."

  Francis Isaac Leabo married Sarah Jennings, an English lady in 1784, in
Varginia.  She was born about 1756, either in Virginia or in England.  They
lived a short time in Virginia moved to Kentucky then to Tennesssee, living in
Knox County.  They then moved to LaPorte county Indianns.

 n 5S 3
 RUBLE, Sarah Jane 1S 1

Unknown Author
Obtained by personel interview with Davidson

The Leabo History in America

Chaper 1
About the first family of our clan in the United States we have little  except
a brief sketch:

Francois Isaac LeBas came to America with general Marquis de Lafayetter in
1770.  He was born in Normandy and died at the home of his daughter.
Catherine Leabo Van Buskirk, and is buried in the Van Buskirk Cemetery, one
and one half miles southeast of Gosport.  This cemetary is a historical one,
having soldiers buried there from every was of the United States with the
exception of the World War, and is called little Arlington.

Francois Isaac Leabo mrried Sarah Jennings, an English Lady, in 1748 in
Virginia.  She was born about 1756 either in Virginia or England.  They lived
a short time in Virginia moving thence to Kentucky, then to Tennessee, Knox Co.
 later to La Porte Co Ind.

Francois Isaac Leabo served as an officer under Lafayette in the war of the
Revolution.  A relative from Indiana gave the item for our history that he
served as Lafayette's Aide, and, as suc, his name appears on the Lafayette
monument in New Yourk City.  However, this had not been verified but further
efforts to that effect will be tried.  However, Sarah Jennings wedding
slippers were a gift from Lafayette an are still preserved among the relatives
at Gosport, Indiana.

Reading the things concerning Lafayette, we find that he returned to the
United States in 1784, the year these ancestors of ours were married, and we
are told in history that he came to Virginia where he visited friends, so the
conclusion is that he attended the wedding of Francois Isaac Leabo and Sarah
Jennings.

After the above was written and read at the Clan meeting in 1931, a relative,
and one eligible to the clan membership, made the statement to the writer that
Lafayette acted as a groomsman at the wedding, and that General Washington was
also a guest. This all sounds reasonable when we remember what they had been
through together.

Sarah Jennings Leabo died about 1850 at the home of their daughter Catherine
Van Buskirk, and rests beside her husband.

The years that have passed since these honored ancestors have gone have erased
much history wich today would be greatley valued.

About three or four years ago(from date not given, but maybe ffrom 1931 the
United States government placed a stone at the grave of daughter of Catherine
Van Buskirk, was not only present but took active part in the ceremony as a
DAR officer
 Born in COCKE, or Cox Co Ky.
         born
Noah     1786              married Unicy Gillete
Josiah   1788                      Sallie Van Buskirk Susan    1790
          unmarried
Rachel   1792                      Wagoner
Jacob    1795                      Elizabeth Bailey Sarah    1796
        Weley Arnold
Elizabeth1798                      Madison Arnold
Catherine1799                      John Van Buskirk Binnvi   1800
        not known
Lucinda  1802                      Noah Stein

This closed the chaper of this sketch beginning 177 years ago, except  for the
following additions given by others as listed:

Francois Isaac LeBas came to America with the French army under General
Lafayette, entering the service from Normandy, France in 1779.  He  served in
capacity of Captain St. Leger Regiment Desuis Sineeis and  the officers p 238
of our French combatants in American Revolution Pub of  National L. Society
S.A.R. 1803 in which volume his mae is given on page 250 3rd column, second
name from the top, as Francois LeBas, Col. Count De Saint Mainsonn.

He married Sarah Jennings in Virginia, where they lived a short time later
moving to Kentucky and then to Tennessee, where they lived in Knox County.
------------Regt. Soinnouis.

Francois Isaac LeBas
5. Sarha JENNINGS[1] was born 1756 in Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania, , Virginia. She died 1840 in
Gasport, Indiana and was buried in VanBuskirk Cmtry, Gosport, Owen Co., Indiana.

10. Thomas JENNINGS[1] was born 1747. He died 1821.
A son was born 1747 to John Jennings, named Thomas.  Thomas died 1821.
Thomas has 11 children, the 10th was Sarah Jennings.
Fifth Generation

20. John JENNINGS[1] was born 1706. He died 1760 in Fredricksburg, Va..
Sixth Generation

40. John JENNINGS[1] was born 1667. He died 1773 in Bath.
Seventh Generation

80. Humphrey JENNINGS[1].
1789, 19 June William Jennings, Known as William of Acton died at Actond
Place, County of Suffolk, England. 98 years of age.  He never married
No heirs. No brothers no sisters.

1625 Williams father named Robert died.

Robert Jennings father was Humphrey Jennings.

Robert had two brothers named William and John who had lineal descendants.
The Estate of William of Acton went to these heirs.

 Name ID Generation
 GILLETTE, Unicy 3 2
 JENNINGS, Humphrey 80 7
 JENNINGS, John 20 5
 JENNINGS, John 40 6
 JENNINGS, Sarha 5 3
 JENNINGS, Thomas 10 4
 LEABO, Francis Isaac 4 3
 LEABO, Josiah Joseph 1 1
 LEABO, Noah 2 2

                                Descendants of Josiah Joseph LEABO
====================================================================================================
==================
Josiah Joseph LEABO (b.16 May 1830-,Iowa d.17 Feb 1904-Clackmas,Co.,Or.)
sp: Nancy E. STONE (b.14 Aug 1831-Cloud,Co.,Mo. m.1852/1853 d.18 Sep 1889-Ore.,Clackmas,Co.)
  |-Unicy McBee LEABO (b.9 Dec 1849-,Cloud Co.,Mo.,U.S.A. d.1941-Dalles,,Oregon,U.S.A.)
  | sp: George Washington MCBEE (b.8 Nov 1846-,Ray Co.,Mo.,U.S.A. m.May 1868 d.1933)
  |  |-John Joshua MCBEE (b.Salem,Marion,Oregon,U.S.A.)
  |  | sp: Cora SHEWEY
  |  |  |-Albert G. MCBEE (b.Salem,Marion,Oregon,U.S.A.)
  |  |  |-Hazel MCBEE
  |  |  | sp: KRAGER
  |  | sp: Louisa Shelton SELLERS
  |  |-Garl MCBEE
  |  |-George Fredric Tude MCBEE
  |  | sp: Alice Ida SELLERS (b.5 Nov 1876-Grundy,Iowa m.6 Mar 1898)
  |  |  +-Gladys MCBEE
  |  |    sp: HUGHES
  |  |-Leonard Herbert MCBEE (b.12 Feb 1873-Salem,Marion Co.,Oregon,U.S.A. d.21 Jul 1967)
  |  |-Daisy MCBEE
  |  | sp: HUGHES
  |  |-William Pearl MCBEE
  |  +-Isaac Garland MCBEE (b.Salem,Marion,Oregon,U.S.A.)
  |-Sarah Elizabeth LEABO (b.18 Jul 1851-,Fremont,Iowa,U.S.A. d.4 May 1950-Dalles,,Oregon)
  | sp: Perry CARD
  |  |-Tom CARD
  |  | sp: Mary CARD
  |  |-Joe CARD
  |  | sp: Effie CARD
  |  |-Etta CARD
  | sp: Dee SHEPARD
  |  |-Bill SHEPARD
  |  |-Calvin SHEPARD
  |  |-Lillith SHEPARD
  |  | sp: GUY
  | sp: Eugene THOREN
  |-James Isaac LEABO (b.8 Oct 1854-Freemont,,Iowa,U.S.A. d.19 years)
  | sp: M
  |-Martin Dunn LEABO (b.8 May 1860-Pawnee,,Nebraska,U.S.A. d.15 Jan 1950-Aurora,Clackamas
Co.,Oregon,U.S.A.)
  | sp: Jennie Lydia Virgina DAUGHERTY (b.May 1863 m.31 Dec 1883 d.26 May 1950)
  |  |-Norah LEABO (d.8 Feb 1955)
  |  | sp: SHAFER
  |  |-Pearl LEABO (b.1884)
  |  | sp: VANCLEAVE
  |  |  |-Kennenth VANCLEAVE
  |  |  +-Melvin VANCLEAVE
  |  +-Ralph LEABO (d.26 Apr 1946)
  |-Martha LEABO (b.2 May 1866-,Lincoln Co.,Oregon,U.S.A. d.13 Feb 1923-Coos,Coss Co.,Oregon,U.S.A.)
  |-Alice Webb LEABO (b.9 Jul 1869-,Marion,Oregon,U.S.A.)
  | sp: George WEBB (m.6 May 1888)
  |  +-Geraldine WEBB
  |    sp: FERRAND
  |-Noah Allen LEABO (b.25 Dec 1874 d.Nov 1952-Sacramento,Sacramento Co.,California,U.S.A.)
  |-Dora LEABO (b.10 Feb 1877 d.1 Jan 1890)
  | sp: Edgar SHAEFER
sp: Nancy E. STONE (b.14 Aug 1831-Cloud,Co.,Mo. d.18 Sep 1889-Ore.,Clackmas,Co.)
  |-Thomas Benton LEABO (b.18 Jul 1856-Pawnee,Neb d.20 Jan 1931-Dalles,Or.)
  | sp: Arthela Ellen DARNIELLE (b.5 Jan 1862-Macon,Co.,Mo. m.21 Oct 1878 d.18 Mar 1935-Dalles,Or)
  |  |-Lester Ellen LEABO
  |  | sp: Ethel DOYLE
  |  |  |-Baby LEABO (b.4 Feb 1910-Boyd,Oregon d.4 Feb 1910-Eight mile,Cemetery,Ward,Dufer)
  |  |  |-Blanche LEABO
  |  |  | sp: Ira HULL
  |  |  |-Vera LEABO
  |  |  | sp: Fred LADUC (m.6 Jun)
  |  |  |  +-Jaqulin LADUC
  |  | sp: Jane Constance HARRIMAN (b.20 Apr 1903-the dalles,Wasco Co)
  |  |  |-Lester Jr. LEABO (b.31 Mar 1924)
  |  |  +-Jack LEABO (b.21 Feb 1928)
  |  |-Iva May LEABO
  |  | sp: John Alexander DAVIDSON (b.14 Nov 1877-Marham Oregon)
  |  |  |-Daisy DAVIDSON
  |  |  | sp: Victor THOMSEN
  |  |  |  +-Bob THOMSEN
  |  |  |-Melvin DAVIDSON
  |  |  | sp: Catherine CROOKS
  |  |  |  |-James DAVIDSON
  |  |  |  |-Ed DAVIDSON
  |  |  |  +-Cathy DAVIDSON
  |  |  |-Tom DAVIDSON
  |  |  |-June DAVIDSON
  |  |  | sp: Dave ROUNDTREE (m.2 May)
  |  |  +-Ted DAVIDSON
  |  |    sp: Barbara CLARK
  |  |-Carl LEABO
  |  +-Miles C. LEABO
  |    sp: Ethel GERKING
  |     |-Thomas Smith LEABO (d.3 Feb 1916-Wasco)
  |     |-Dale Osthel LEABO (b.23 Mar 1920 d.11 Jul 1920)
  |     |-Darrel LEABO
  |     | sp: Edith KIEDEROSKI
  |     |  +-Don LEABO
  |     |-Donald LEABO
  |     +-Zona LEABO
  |       sp: Jack ATHANAS
  |        |-Linda ATHANAS
  |        |-Phil ATHANAS
  |        |-Bob ATHANAS
  |        +-Susie ATHANAS
  |-Nancy Caroline LEABO (b.9 Feb 1863-Grand Ronde,,Oregon,U.S.A. d.16 Dec-Fort Collins,Lariner
Co.,Colorado)
  | sp: Albert Clark BAKER (b.26 Aug 1858-Juneau,Dodge,Wisconsin m.3 Jul 1883 d.20 Nov 1933-Fort
Collins,Larimer,Colorado)
  |  |-Charles A BAKER
  |  |-Alexander Kendrick BAKER (b.3 Apr 1892)
  |  |-Mae Rumley BAKER
  |  |-Albert W BAKER
  |  +-A. W. Poor BAKER
  +-Rachel LEABO (b.18 Apr 1858-Pawnee Co.,Nebraska)
    sp: James TODD (m.11 Jun 1876)
     |-Elmer TODD
     +-Clara McCarthy TODD (b.26 Feb 1882-Molalla,Clackamas,Oregon,U.S.A. d.24 Apr 1912)
       sp: F. P. MCCARTHY (m.27 Mar 1898)
        |-Aileen MCCARTHY
        +-Dermod MCCARTHY