[or-roots] Cemetery listings

Wordsmith wordsmith at grrtech.com
Sun May 4 23:13:09 PDT 2003

There have been some great ideas and thoughts on this topic, and I
appreciate each and every one of them. I've included some of them below.

What I think will happen is that an alpha listing will go up first, since
that's the one closest to completion. It's a line-by-line listing and has
whatever appears on the headstone. Therefore, unmarked graves won't be on
the list. There were a couple things that made this project more difficult.
One was that half the cemetery is in very irregularly-shaped and sized
sections, and there doesn't seem to be any actual order to the plots.
Perhaps burials took place in whatever spot the person or family selected;
I'm not sure. There is a numbered list of people on that side of the
cemetery, but I'm not sure if they were the purchasers of a plot or the
first person to be buried there or what. One of the numbered plots lists
over a dozen individuals, none of whom were related to one another, as far
as I can tell. The other difficulty was that no one seems to have any
original records from the cemetery. At least, I haven't been able to find
any after contacting the local historical and genealogical groups.

Yes, there will be errors in it, and if people spot them, I will certainly
appreciate corrections. I have done the best I can with proofreading, but
things get by.

Eventually, I will post a section-by-section, lot-by-lot list of both halves
of the cemetery. That will take longer, as I've had to draw maps, and my
artistic skill...well, let's say I'm a better nurse than artist, for sure.

Thank you all.

Elizabeth

>From Susie:
<snip>
> I prefer an alphabetical order of listings of surnames..
<snip>

From: Bill Strickland

>    1) alphabetical because that's easier to locate a name
>    2) value in knowing who is buried next to and near whom
>
> BOTH -- A grave by grave listing, with an alphabetical index to the
listing. <snip>

From: Leslie Chapman
<snip>
> I also appreciate all the suggestions for cemetery transcriptions. <snip>
> The Sexton records we checked against had about 3 or 4 hundred errors in
them. A lot of that was a result of data
> input in their file. Some of it is because the official record does not
agree with what is on the tombstone. We are taking the
> step, albiet rather slowly (so far I am the only one to attempt to do so
and I spent one afternoon) of checking against the
> funeral home records.
<snip>
> I especially appreciate the suggestion that location and history of the
cememetery be included. I intend to develop a map of > the cemetery with
individual plots listed when I can get them mapped out. That has been one of
the hangups as the sexton
> records are riddled with errors. If someone who has a relative buried here
with no headstone wants to know where that