[or-roots] Re:REUBEN SOPER

Violet Sunderland ndloop at wvi.com
Sat Nov 1 22:09:18 PST 2003

Hi Gary,

I found these with Google:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~jselwa/webpage/g374.html

http://www.gbnf.com/genealogy/jagard/html/index/ind0044.HTM

I was interested because I've just made a breakthrough on my POWERS
line (paternal) but mine is Kentucky, possibly back to South Carolina
or Virginia.

I subscribe to the LEE list and the only Philander LEE was in
Tennessee in the 1860 census. Not mine either. Mine traces to one
Peter LEE in Massachusetts. Some of his descendants were Loyalists who
went to Canada and my line was in Eaton Co. MI in the 1850s.

One other surname lately is BOWEN. It is known in Cornwall and
Devonshire also. Did you know that ap in Welsh means 'son of'? When
the name starts with a vowel, the p becomes b and the a is dropped, so
ab Owen becomes Bowen. In one instance I know of, it became BONE,
possibly when a parish clerk or census taker spelled what he heard. My
grandfather's sister-in-law was born in LaMar, Colorado in the early
1880s, the daughter of one Josh BOWEN. (No other info on him.)

Violet Sunderland
mailto:ndloop at wvi.com