[or-roots] Re: Lee-Hutchinson-Soper

Virgene and Dean Travis travis.north at centurytel.net
Sun Nov 2 13:09:56 PST 2003

Gary --
   Philander Lee is on the 1860 census in Clackamas Co., OR, Family 1068 ...
unfortunately I didn't record the page number.
        Philander Lee (1801-12 Jan 1887) had a son named Heman Allen Lee, b.
29 March 1833 in Jefferson Co., NY; d. 7 Jan 1914 in Canby, Clackamas Co.,
OR .. is in the Zion/Pioneer Cem. there.  For more info. on Heman see:
An Illustrated History of the State of Oregon, H.K, Hines, D. D. Lewis
Publishing Co., 1893, page 689.
        A daughter of Heman A. Lee is named Clara C. Lee (b. 17 May 1868 in
Canby, d. 15 March 1926 in Newberg, Yamhill Co., OR and buried in the Canby
Zion/Pioneer Cemetery.)   She m. (1st) Elijah Dow Hutchinson on 1 Jun 1890
in Clackamas Co.  Elijah Hutchinson died 16 May 1902 in Eugene and is also
buried in Canby.    Then in about 1912, Clara married (2nd) Ransom or Ranson
SOPER.  He was b. about 1868 and died Jan. 1914.    (From writings of Myra
Weston of Canby, OR-- a Clackamas Co., Oregon historian) comes the
following:  "Clara had six children, was Canby milliner and first telephone
operator; as widow she married Ransom Soper."   I don't have date of the
marriage, but probably you
can find it somewhere in Oregon Marriage Records.
Clara's Death Certificate:
Newberg, Yamhill Co., OR, Reg. No. 47
Clara C. Soper, 721 First, Newberg
Female, White, Widowed
   etc.
          As far as I know, Clara and Mr. Soper did not have any children.
He may have been married previously???   A KEITH SOPER was one of the
pallbearers at the funeral of Leonard Garver in Walla Walla, WA in June
1964.   Leonard Garver is a descendant of Philinda Lee Green Terwilliger.
Philinda is a sister to Philander Lee.

   Have fun trying to put this puzzle together!
       Virgene Travis
        in Montana