[or-roots] M.J. Lee of Canby

Virgene and Dean Travis travis.north at centurytel.net
Mon Nov 3 22:15:02 PST 2003

Hi Jacqueline --
      M. J. Lee (or Millard Jerome Lee) was the son of Albert Harvey Lee and
was the first white child born in Canby on 25 Aug. 1872.  Albert Harvey Lee
was the younger brother of Heman Allen Lee (father of Milo Heman Lee)  so
Milo Heman Lee and M.J. Lee would be 1st cousins.

           From information submitted to me by this branch of my Lee family,
M.J. had quite an interesting life.  He was on the Rambler bicycle racing
team .. and won many blue ribbons and silver cups during 4 years of racing
in the Pacific N.W.  Per Myra Weston, Canby historian, he owned and edited
the Clackamas News in Canby for a period of time.  He built the Canby power
plant, helped promote the RR to Molalla.  He rode the 1st motorcycle that
came to the Pacific N.W., drove the first auto stage operated in the state
... in 1913 between Canby and Oregon City.  He established a water system
(from a well) and sold water to Canby customers before WWI, made mining
expeditions to Alaska and California, etc. etc.  He was still getting around
Canby on a bicycle in his final days.  And yes, it also says that in 1996, a
new ferry in Canby was named after it's predecessor's name of M. J. LEE.
          Virgene