[or-roots] RE: BLM Site

Debra Arnison-Sutton darnison at telusplanet.net
Thu Nov 6 12:36:04 PST 2003

Hi Judy,

If you know the legal land description (township, range, section), you
could try the Graphical Locater at
http://www.esg.montana.edu/gl/index.html

Follow the link in the first paragraph that says
"township-range-section (TRS) conversion"

On the page that comes up, you need to select the meridian (which in
Oregon would be the Willamette Meridian, listed there as "Oregon,
Willamette Meridian").  Then you enter your township, range, and
section.

This should give you a page with all sorts of map-locating info.

You can also use this information in the View Maps section of the
Topozone site at
http://www.topozone.com

The ORMAP project for property tax has detailed Oregon township/range
maps at:
http://www.gis.state.or.us/data/ormap/statemap.htm

If you are working with other areas of the US, you might be interested
in the web site showing "Principal Meridians and Base Lines Governing
the United States Public Land Surveys" at
http://www.ca.blm.gov/pa/cadastral/meridian.html

Enjoy!
 --
Debra