[or-roots] Old Street between 82nd & 92nd

Bill & Chris Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 8 10:57:23 PDT 2003

Colette wrote:

> I live between 82 and 92 Ave on Olly (Ally) Road.  Do you remember
> where the Standard Oil Stations are on 82st near the Estacada Railroad
> tracks.  I live 1 mile South on 82 and 4 blocks on Olly Road right in
> front of the Lion's farm.

The old railroad grade through east Portland crossed SE Flavel St
between 82nd and 92nd -- I suppose this is about a mile north of Otty
Rd. This area was much more rural in the Forties than it is now.

This is the same general area as the Johnson Creek Motor Park that has
been discussed on this list (or whatever it's exact name is/was).

The grade continues east toward Gresham (north of Mt Scott, which is
just east of the Home Depot/Krispy Kreme location on Otty & 82nd) and
then southeast to Boring (and toward Estacada). Presently this grade is
being refurbished as the Springwater Corridor Trail, a popular hiking,
biking, etc route into downtown Portland.

Remembering the George Brown thread of a few days ago, the "Estacada
Railroad" started life as the Oregon Water Power Railroad about 1900,
with several ensuing name changes.

Estacada is about 30 miles SE of downtown Portland.