[or-roots] fishing

Leslie Chapman khanjehgil at presys.com
Tue Oct 21 10:10:30 PDT 2003

Since we seem to be amenable to fishing expeditions this week I thought I
would throw out a few names I have virtually nothing on in hopes of getting
one or two good hits.

BOWEN; that surname intrigued me, but I discover that all I have in my
family tree is ? BOWEN who is the mother of a cousin Margaret of mine born
in San Francisco 7 Nov 1946. The father was William Chaffey McConnaha whom I
learned about from the infamous "letters to Grand ma" a small sample of
which can be seen at;
http://www.rootsweb.com/~cadelnor/letters.htm

I do have a lot of info on BOWEN births in Cal if anyone is interested; now
before you unload on me about posting Ca questions on an Oregon list, please
understand that this line of my family was prone to visiting the folks up
here and taking spouses home with them, and also freely migrated back and
forth between the two states, witness next question;

BURRILL,Mildred; wife of a first cousin of the above William; Hadley
Frederick Morrison who was born in Crescent City Ca on 14 Feb 1897, died 6
Oct 194O in Portland, Oregon. I have been unable to unearth any further info
on her in spite of having her full name. Someday when I can get access to
the 1930 portland census I might get more, but I am still a long way from
exhausting the stuff of relvance on my family I can do without spending
money so have been reluctant to spend much.

BOGARD; this is one that Judy posted that caught my attention, as it is a
variation of one of the surnames in my family tree, Sarah Ellen
VanderBogart, unfortunately this line is very vague, Bogardus is a variation
that the family thought was connected and I have a genealogy created by a
gggranduncle that purported to link us to the Trinity Churche Fortune in NY
and was every bit as valuable as the lawsuit that inspired him to create the
genealogy, that is probably pure fiction.

Anyway Sarah was my paternal great grandmother, but she died in Belleview,
Eaton Co., Michigan, 21 May 1910. Some of her near reletives did eventually
end up in Oregon with surnames Pickett and of course my father's line.

that is probably enough fishing for one day.