[or-roots] test and topics

A&A Stringer stringer at oregontrails.com
Wed Sep 10 20:51:01 PDT 2003

My grandmother told me that her family had no refrigeration when she was
a child (1920s in Malheur County).  It was her job to make the
mayonnaise using an egg beater.  One time a neighbor had some sandwiches
made with Miracle Whip.  My grandmother thought it was such a marvelous
thing.

My aunt, who grew up before 1920 in Yamhill County, told about storing
winter squash in the barn for use throughout the winter.  Squash was a
staple food for them.  They also made many trips over to the coast, and
went clamming.  They made clam fritters, or something like that.