[or-roots] childhood memories

Charlotte Sawyer csawyer at wvi.com
Sat Sep 13 17:39:56 PDT 2003

Aileen, I totally agree with your basic message of capturing info now --
even though I haven't started writing about my experiences yet, I am
gathering lots of pictures and papers which hopefully will help explain
things to folks.  Besides, like most folks probably, I believe I have lots
of time yet.  :-)

About the homestead papers, I doubt they were actually signed by President
Harrison.  They were more likely signed by an official in the county office
in President Harrison's name.  The two contributing facts that lead me to
believe this are:  1) there were SO many homesteads being set up across the
country, the President would have been sorely taxed to sign all the papers
and, 2) the length of time to get the papers mailed to and fro to be able to
have the President sign them.

Something I haven't done yet is to compare the signatures of homestead
papers from different counties or states to see how they compare or differ.
Hmmmmm interesting mystery.......