[or-roots] Depression Times / W.W.II

kat1928 at integrity.com kat1928 at integrity.com
Tue Sep 16 20:29:27 PDT 2003

Quoting Dorothy Wogh <dorothy at napanet.net>:

> Do you remember the cars without any windows where the breeze blew
> through.
> Later getting the curtains you hung up on the inside of the car.  That
> sure
> helped.  No heaters, radios, etc.
>
> Dorothy Wogh

No, I don't remember the open car windows.  We were poor and didn't
have a car during the depression.  When we moved to Portland we still
didn't have one.  A lot of people in town didn't; the bus service took
us wherever we wanted.
I do remember, during the depresion that cars had what we called
isenglass windows.  Some of our company had cars with this.  I seem
to remember a car having black "flaps" that folded down over the
windows.

Dorothy