[or-roots] Portland plane crash

Leslie Chapman khanjehgil at presys.com
Fri Apr 2 19:03:05 PST 2004

Tsk, Tsk you forgot to change subject line and almost got ignored.

I don't know about phone service, I think town may have had phone not long
after 1900, Connie??

As to the plane crash, I remember it because my late nephews and their
wife/mom were about ten blocks from it when it went down. I find a reference
to a UAL crash on 12/28/1978 but don't think that is the one as elsewhere
saw reference to it being a crash on takeoff which the one you refer to
wasn't.

Okay after three hours of searching I finally typed in "ran out of fuel" and
found it in thirty seconds;

On December 28, 1978. a DC-8 ran out of fuel at Portland, Oregon.
    The flight originated from J. F. Kennedy Airport, New York, via Denver

At 18.15 the DC-8 crashed into a wooded section of suburban Portland, six
miles east-south-east of the airport. Fortunately it did not catch fire. The
flight engineer, a flight attendant and eight passengers were killed.
Twenty-three other passengers were seriously injured. The fault in the
undercarriage was found to be due to a burned-out light bulb.

for full text of cockpit conversation in this "stupidity crash" see;

http://www.najaco.com/books/aviationchorus/accidents_3.htm

I'll try to get back to you on the phone thing.

Les Chapman