[or-roots] sick sense of humor!

karfranw at juno.com karfranw at juno.com
Mon Aug 2 12:10:07 PDT 2004

Hi listmates,

We cannot undo what has happened in the passed few days.  But, what we
can do, is to be kind
to one another.  Some of us, including myself, emailed Kevin.  I tried to
be nice to him, and was not
rude, just like I haven't been rude to anyone else here, yet.
But, you know we are all supposed to be responsible mature adults here.
This is a genealogy list, and as such,
devoted to research out our antecedents.  But, with all of the bickering
going on here, it is more like the WWE.
Now, I think all of you who are fighting like little children, need to go
and stand in your respective corners, and
stay there until you think about all of the unkindness and unhappiness
you are causing each other and the rest of us.
And when you have reached a sound mature decision, and I am hoping you
come to the conclusion that no one is
right, and you are genuinely sorry for hurting each other, then you can
come out of your corners, shake hands and say
you are sorry.
If you don't do this, I am afraid I am going to have to send you to the
principal's office for an old fashioned whupping.
That is what this is coming to.
I am in a humerous way, trying to get you guys to settle down.  Everyone
on this list, with the exception of the ones that
have remained neutral, is as equally guilty of saying things to Kevin.
BUT, we cannot change nor undo what has been said.
What we all can do, is to APOLOGIZE to each other, and I mean right now,
and come out of this as friends as before.
We all are feeling badly about what happened to Kevin.  Now, we can't
change that fact, that he is gone.  But, we can
be a little kinder to each other, and maybe, in the process of thinking
rationally about this situation, we could try to be kinder
to his widow.  She doesn't deserve the tongue lashing that is going on
here, and neither do the rest of us.
So, wise up, and grow up.  OK?  When the list mom gets back from where
ever she went, she is probably going to be very
disappointed in all of us for the way we handled this situation.
So, let's give poor Kevin a chance to rest in piece, and we need to start
delving into the past ages, to find our elusive
relatives.
Speaking of which, I have a story to tell.  My birth name is Karla Gray,
and I was born in The Dalles Oregon to Marion
Frederick Gray, and Jessie Marie Yohey Gray, in December of 1946.  My
father was born in Friend Oregon to Jesse Marion
Gray, and Emma Freda Gertrude Miller Gray on September 1, 1920.  My
grandfather was born in Friend or The Dalles, on January 18
, I think the year was 1883 or so, to James Jackson Gray, and Susan
Permelier Gray (her maiden name just flew out of my mind).
James Jackson Gray was born in or near Nashville Tennessee, in 1843 or
so.
The story goes this way:  James Jackson was around 15-17 years old when
the Civil War broke out.  His father was a school
teacher, and also owned a race horse farm. Just prior to the break out of
the Civil War, the father had purchased a stud for $1,000.00,
which was a considerable sum back then.  When the War broke out, the
father and older brothers decided to go off to war, leaving
young James Jackson at home in charge of the horse farm.  They joined the
Federalist forces.
But, James Jackson was young, and as such, evidentally prone to being
hotheaded (which decidedly runs in the family), was
quite put out that the father and brothers had gone off to war, leaving
him at home.  So, he decided to leave also.  He took the
stud and off he went.   He joined the first army outfit he came to, which
unfortunately, was the Confederate Army.  The horse
was shot and killed in an ensuing battle.
James Jackson served his 4 years of service duty and was duly discharged
from the Army.  He was relunctant to go back home,
so lit out to come west.  He worked his way out here, hoping to recoop
enough money to repay his father for the stud that had been
killed.
Well, I guess he never was able to get the money together.  He came to
Oregon, somewhere along the line, met up with my great
grandmother, and made her his wife.  They had 10 kids.
Now, James Jackson was a very tight lipped individual.  Never, never,
ever, did he tell his children, or grandchildren any information
about the family he left in Tennessee.  So, all we know is what I just
told you.  There have been several individuals in the family, and one
on my mother's side, doing lots of research, trying to find anything on
the family he left behind.
Outside of going back to Tennessee, and doing research back there, what
are we to do?  My niece wrote for and got his Army
records and he told them he was James Jackson Gray.  But, I am beginning
to think, the old rascal was a scoundrel and a consumate
liar.  I don't think his surname was Gray.  I don't know what else to
think.  We have all hit a brickwall.
Do, any of you have any suggestions?  I have researched out the Census I
think for 1880 or 1890, and found them.  At that time,
it was just his wife and 9 months old baby daughter, Louisa.  They had
had an earlier child, but that baby died from diptheria before
reaching a year old.
So, if any of you people, who have a more vast knowledge than I have,
have any kind of suggestions, I would appreciate you bouncing
them off of me.  For now, I just want to make this one statement, I don't
have the time nor the money to make a trip to Tennessee.  So,
that option is closed at this time.
Thank you so much for letting me say my piece.  I just want peace and
harmony to reign again here, and want everyone to be friends.
So, please, peace, peace everyone.  Thank you so much.

Sincerely,

Karla Williams
karfranw at juno.com