[or-roots] State Archives

Leslie Chapman khanjehgil at presys.com
Sun Dec 5 23:00:12 PST 2004

I am a little slow today and almost missed the fact that Linda had already
answered these questions, I decided since I almost missed the answers others
might have also so will repost this info to be sure anyone who wanted to
know how to contact these sites saw them. Am adding some California premium
sites; note that in spite of California law making access to this stuff
"illegal" it is still available for a price.

Les Chapman khanjehgil at presys.com

For the OREGON State Archives main web page;

http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/

main search page;

http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/banners/search.htm

historical records index;

http://genealogy.state.or.us/start.lasso?location=search

WASHINGTON State Archives main web page;

http://www.secstate.wa.gov/archives/

CALIFORNIA stuff

[note these web sites are primarily premium sites but there are some free
data bases of varying quality and ease of use if you are willing to jump
through the hoops to get to them; you have to obtain a free guest pass and
keep the info for future reference, then you have to understand their menu
structure which is designed to intimidate you into buying the premium
service rather than making it easy to use those free databases, and then
some of the databases are image files of the indexes which are only
accessible by surname and time frame.]

Birth Indexes;

http://www.vitalsearch-ca.com/gen/ca/_vitals/cabirthm.htm

Marriage indexes;		[free limited to 1949 - 1959, 1986

http://www.vitalsearch-ca.com/gen/ca/_vitals/camarrin.htm

Death indexes

http://www.vitalsearch-ca.com/gen/ca/_vitals/cadeathm.htm

---