[or-roots] Andrew L. Clearkin, Grant Co., OR 1906

CARROLLOUC at aol.com CARROLLOUC at aol.com
Tue Dec 14 23:28:41 PST 2004

Hi Les

Thanks for the instructions on the meridian and base line. I am, however,
quite up on that. Will really appreciate the images of where the land was
located. I found all of this in Baker Co. for a gr gr grandmother's 160 acres and
also for one of her sons in CO. Have gotten the records from the BLM.

The Willamette meridian line crosses the base line in Portland, not Salem.
Sorry. I was raised, in the 1930's, on or near the old "Base Line Road" now
named Stark St. My parents referred to it as Base Line Road long after the name
change.

Thanks especially for the link to Grant Co. and where to write for the land
records. The link looks like it might be helpful as I try to find out when
Andrew Clearkin died. He is not on the OR State death index.

Thanks again for your help and input.

Carroll (Cooper) Summers
Medford, OR
Carroll;

Okay, we interupt the borning monologue below to bring you this Grant County
genealogy link;

http://gesswhoto.com/grant.html

*    *    *    *

The following information was provided by, Sammie Laurance of the Grant
County, Or. Genealogical Society.

The land patents are found in the County Clerk's office at courthouse in
Canyon City. They are recorded in the deed records, as this is when the
Government gave title to land after the people homestead, lived on the land
for period of 5 years and did improvements..then the land patent was give to
them...clear title to the land..usually in amounts of 160 acres, some 320
acres...etc..I think each person was granted 140 acres, but that meant
husband..160...wife 160 and if they had grown children...each got that
amount.

They are really neat documents, as it tells who was president when it was
issued..a neat keepsake for genealogist.

Grant County Courthouse
201 South Humbold - Suite 290
Canyon City, Oregon 97820

*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *

The reason for the peculiar format of the descriptions you list below is the
result of the way property is surveyed; When Oregon became part of the US it
was decided to set up what is known as the Willamette Meridian, which is a
longitude line that goes through a point near Salem, and intersects the 45th
Parallel (latitude line) and is marked by the Willamette Stone.

All of Oregon and Washington land can be legally described by the funny code
you see below, Aliquoit parts ( should read Aliquot I believe??) is a fnacy
way of saying "these are the legalese descriptions of 'what you got' portion
of this or that section." I have some links to a clearer explanation of all
this somewhere if you really want to know, but what you see is first of all
you have to read these backwards to find them; Twnship 12-S tells you that
you have to go 12 townships (a township ideally is a 6 mile by 6 mile block
of land that is broken into 36 1 mile by 1 mile squares) Range 32 E. tells
us to go 32 townships east so we are 72 miles south and 192 miles east of
the Willamette stone (give or take) to look for that point, then we break it
further down to Section ( one of those 1 mile by 1 mile squares) and then
further to the " aliquot parts)

Well heck here's a good link that will explaine it clearer than me;

http://www.fairview-industries.com/gismodule/PartOneLegalDescr.html

All of the N 1/2 NW and so forth is breaking the section into quarters and
"quarters of quarters" also known as "forties"

see; ideally a section is one square mile which is 640 acres, this is then
broken into four 160 acre blocks(quarters) which are further broken into 40
acre blocks (forties) so the way I would read #1 is the North one-half of
the Northwest one-quarter of section 15, township 12 South, Range 32 East,
Willamette Meridian so that would be about eighty acres and as described is
readily identifiable and uniquely described. Part two is the South east
quarter of the Northewest quarter and part three is the Northeast quarter of
the southwes quarter. so you have an L shaped property 1/2 mile east west
and 3/4 mile north south along the east boundary, but on the west boundary
you come south 1/4 mile and then go east 1/4 mile and then south 1/2 mile,
then you can go east 1/4 mile and meet the east boundary of the property.

According to the Lat and Long given to me by a web site this makes Andrew's
place about 8.4 miles NE of John Day. I will send you an internet image of
the property and a larger scale location image off list.

Les Chpamn