[or-roots] Which wagon train did the Lees come on?

Candis Lee Cattley-Sanders candissanders at bctonline.com
Tue Feb 17 10:17:11 PST 2004

Hello List.
This is the Wagon Train info gathered from Anna Harvey (Green) Lee's Diary.
ALL 4 CHILDREN OF JOSEPHUS LEE JOINED TOGETHER IN ST JOE, MISSOURI ON "THE
OSKALOSSA TRAIN " JUNE 15 1847. LEAD BY CAPT. WILEY CHAPMAN.
There about 100 wagons in this train and about half way along so many had
gotten sick that the train split in 2 with the faster and most able to
travel going on ahead in that train. With Philander Lee and his family
staying in the 2nd. Anna Harvey (Green) Lee was noted for her medical know
how and also most of her family was sick except Heman Allen and herself. It
was at American Falls that the 1st train had some problems and John Harvey
Green jumped in to assist his team through the water when he drowned. A sign
was left on the bank of the river That said something to the effect that
they 2nd train was to hurry on ahead and Anna (Green) Lee wrote in her diary
"she just new it was her brother John 's family that needed her". It is also
on this trip that they had reached the Whitman mission or close to it and a
messanger was sent out to the wagons and told them to camp and they where
have trouble with the indians. Later that day another messanger was sent to
say it was safe to come to the mission. The Whitmans loaned them their
barges to float the wagons down the river and the stock and horses went by
land. Some of the Train did stay at the mission and it was not till the
reconected at the Dalles did they learn of the Massacre at the mission.

I was allowed would you believe it to take this diary from my Grandmother
Ora Lee-Cattley to school where it was read to us and I did this several
times. The one time was when I was in the 3rd grade class of Mrs. C. Trost.