[or-roots] Hawthorne Asylum

Barbara Wulf wulf at bendcable.com
Fri Feb 27 12:55:39 PST 2004

Hawthorne Bridge

      Opened:
     December 19, 1910

      Cost:
     $500,000

      Type:
     Steel-through truss (Parker), vertical lift

      Main span:
     244 feet long

      Owner:
     Multnomah County

Highlights:

  a.. The Hawthorne, which gained national recognition for its design, was one of three such bridges in the Portland area built by the inventor of the vertical-lift drawbridge, John Alexander Low Waddell.

  b.. The Hawthorne is the world's oldest vertical-lift bridge.

  c.. The bridge is named after Dr. J. C. Hawthorne, who helped to found the Oregon Hospital for the Insane, which was originally located on Asylum Street in East Portland. Asylum Street was renamed Hawthorne Street five years after the hospital relocated to Salem.

  d.. In the spring of 1998, a year-long renovation project closed the Hawthorne Bridge. Sidewalks were widened, lift systems were upgraded, and the steel grated deck was replaced - to name just a few of the improvements.

Barb
wulf at bendcable.com
http://home.bendcable.com/wulf/Project/siteMapNoImage.htm