[or-roots] cemetery?/1847/Yamhill co./BUFFUM, Hiram

Leslie Chapman khanjehgil at presys.com
Mon Jul 5 00:37:19 PDT 2004

Evelyn;

It seems to me that the Goose Creek he is referring to is in Idaho, I base
this judgement on the fact that they are on the Snake River before they come
to Goose Creek, unfortunately that doesn't narrow it down as easily as it
might. Of the 255 Goose Creeks listed in the USGS locator results I got;
NINE of them are in Idaho, but I think we can safely rule out all but two of
them.

      Goose Creek ID Owyhee stream 425238N 1165447W Stonehouse Creek

      Goose Creek ID Cassia stream 423221N 1134553W Burley

If you are receiving this as html, which I assume you are since Walts purty
picture is still in it when it comes to me, you can click on the upper link
I have pasted in here and then when that page opens click on View USGS
Digital Raster Graphic (DRG)
actually you should be able to just click on that link (??? too late at
night for me to be sure I know what I am doing) and you will get a map of
the mouth of Goose Creek. I am assuming that is the right one because it is
near the Powder River; I was unable to locate a Salmon Falls that fit in to
the scheme of thier travel, both of the Salmon falls that I located are on
the Salmon river.

When you get that map can click on the drop down arrow on the box at left
that says map size and get a bigger map of the area thn the default size, if
you want to save it to your computer click on download just above the USGS
logo at the top of the window and you will get an image you can save easily
by right clicking on it. If you just try to click on what you get without
the downlaod button you get a little tiny piece of the page.

If on further study this looks unlikely to be your Hirams burial, check with
the Burley gen soc or historical society and see if they know anything about
him, as the lower Goose Creek I list here emptys out in the middle of
Burley. I guess the big question is where the Oregon Trail went in that
neighborhood. It looks like it "could" have followed Jordan Creek through
that area on the way to the Powder river, but I can't be sure.

Les chapman  khanjehgil at presys.com