[or-roots] Captain James

Cecil Houk cchouk at cox.net
Tue Jun 8 21:22:30 PDT 2004

Les, et al:

I had to take another look at the pix I have of Capt. Blakely, and made an interesting discovery.

Captain James and Sarah (Dick) Blakely; my gr gr grandparents.
for full size: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cchouk/blakely/jb_sd.jpg

And then I took a closer look at Sarah's left hand.

 <- Look at the little finger
Dupuytren's Contracture
http://www.surgerydoor.co.uk/handbagtest/medcon/detail2.asp?level2=Dupuytrens%20Contracture

Now I know where it came from in my Houk line.  My father had it.  My brother had it.  And I have it!  About 16 years ago I noticed the bumps in the palm of my right hand.  Today the little finger on that hand cannot be extended more than 90 degrees from my palm.  I now have bumps in my left hand.

This makes playing a piano/keyboard impossible.  Touch typing is out of the question.

Cecil