[or-roots] Letitia Bird / Charles McKay

CarmaMcKay at aol.com CarmaMcKay at aol.com
Wed Jun 9 21:10:09 PDT 2004

Nancy, Gary, and other responders:

Thanks for the input so far.  I didn't know about that website.  I'll look at
it in more depth.  I noticed that the submitter lists Letitia's mother as
Elizabeth (Montour) and then goes on to share the Montour family.  Gary, you're
right about being careful with internet information.  I have a copy of James
Bird & Elizabeth's marriage certificate.  If you look at it through a magnifying
glass, you can tell that the last name of Montour was written by a different
person.  I suspect it was added at a later date.

I've worked on this lineage for several years and have corresponded with
hundreds of descendants from the Red River Settlement (including Gail Morin and
John Jackson), I've studied the Pat McCloy and Denney papers, and have collected
many books about this part of our history.  So far, there is no proof that
Elizabeth's last name was Montour.  Her husband, James Curtis Bird was quite a
busy man.  He had 3 or 4 wives and about 21 children.  It's difficult to
identify which child belonged to which wife.

It is written in Oregon history books that Charles Richard McKay was born on
ship while crossing the Atlantic from Scotland.  Unfortunately, that has been
disproven.  Hudson's Bay Company records show that he was born in Canada as
the son of John McKay.  I don't think there is a connection to Thomas McKay,
except that they both voted at Champoeg.

I can share more if anyone is interested, but will not be able to respond for
a few days.  I'm off tomorrow morning for a little vacation at the local
hospital to remove my gallbladder.  Oops, that's probably overshare!  Anyway, I'm
still wondering if I have any cousins on this list.

Take care,
Carma