[or-roots] Little Black Sambo 1946

Kith-n-Kin (ATT) Kith-n-Kin at att.net
Wed Jun 16 13:16:35 PDT 2004

Would it just be tacky as heck to point out that the story of "Little Black
Sambo" was about an East Indian boy? Where did you ever see a tiger in
Alabama? Too bad about that PC stuff, ruined a good book once people started
taking offense.

Matter of fact, probably the first movie I ever saw was "Song of the South",
played in Kinzua at the Community Center - perhaps 1945 or so. My all time
favorite movie and you have to get a copy from a European source if you want
to watch it today. Think I will. So there.

I have to say, much as it pains me, that my grandfather, who probably never
saw many black people growing up in Jackson County and only one Asian that I
know of, was a bigot. Who knows where he got that! Fortunately, my parents
somehow protected us from his behavior, or explaining that it wasn't right,
so we grew up differently. Just sort of middle class white bread
unintentional racist. But, we got over it.  Helps to have all sorts in the
family tree. . . and to dinner. . .

Pat (in Tucson)