[or-roots] Oregon Geographic Names Board

CARROLLOUC at aol.com CARROLLOUC at aol.com
Fri Jun 18 23:23:15 PDT 2004

Yes, Sutherlin, Douglas Co., got it name from Fendel Sutherlin, born in
Greencastle, Indiana in 1822. he graduated from Greencastle College in 1848 and
came to Oregon the following year. His parents followed him in 1850 he died in
1901.

Winchester, Douglas Co. Thid place, which was founded by the Umpqua Exploring
expedition out of San Francisco, was laid out by Addison R. Flint. It was
probably named for one of two brothers on the expedition, They were John and
Herman. Herman was the Captain (of the ship or the expedition - it doesn't say. I
didn't copy all of the information and some was shortened by me as it is
getting late.)

This is from McArthur's Oregon Geographic Names, 6th ed.

Carroll (Cooper) Summers
Anyone out there know how Sutherlin got its name.?
How about Winchester?,my dad lost an arm in a train wreck there in 1916
dpatrick at calweb.com