[or-roots] Kinzua

Connie Guardino census at wi.net
Sun Jun 27 15:53:43 PDT 2004

Kinzua (Wheeler County) lumber town and post office was established in
1928. The place was named by the Kinzua Pine Mills Company in Kinzua,
Warren County, Pennsylvania, a community on the Allegheny River. At the
time, it was said that Kinzua meant a place of many fishes. On Oct. 16,
1930, the postmaster at Kinzua, Pennsylvania, told the compiler that
highway signs in that community said Kinzua was an Indian name meaning
waters of many and big fish. However, an inquiry to an old Indian in the
vicinity brought the information that he believed that the word actually
meant that there were always fish for the spear rather than for other
methods of catching. --Oregon Geographic Names, 6th Ed.