[or-roots] Heritage Quest, Ancestry.com, Genealogy.com, LDS site

Bill & Chris Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 27 08:41:40 PST 2004

"dsam at sampubco.com" wrote:

> Ancestry.com acquired Genealogy.com

Let's give credit where credit is due:
both are owned by the Utah conglomerate, MyFamily.com, and who knows who
own them ...

Also, different services have different censuses and each has their own
indexing:

Ancestry: 1790-1850
Heritage Quest: 1860&1870
FamilySearch: 1880

Where Ancestry & FamilySearch have Soundex and other search options,
Heritage Quest searches only for the exact spelling as per their own
index. And I see where we are getting some more overlap; Ancestry has a
sign for '1860 - Coming Soon'. With the 20th century censuses, it is
more a question of who has what indexed.

mo.

Bill Strickland