[or-roots] Thank you and books?

Kith-n-Kin kith-n-kin at att.net
Mon Mar 29 10:11:10 PST 2004

One of these days, Ronda, you won't be a "newbie." (Although, sometimes I still feel that way, when one of
our really knowledgeable members brings up something "I should have known" <G>.)

You will be helping others as well. I'll be right now you know something someone else is going to ask one
of these days.

As to "how you find these books?"  Here are a couple of suggestions.

Go to your local "Family History Library" operated by the LDS Church. Don't go in the microfilm room. Go
instead to the shelves of books they have there. Just walk around and look at the books. You will be
amazed.

Do the same thing in your local college or public library. Ask the librarians for help. They will tell you
where things are.

Do the same thing again, at your local historical society.

All that footwork!  But, you will begin to get a sense of the wealth of information out there.

Since you are now really tired, get a glass of cold water, turn on your internet, open up "Google.com" and
start typing searches, such as "howard family missouri lincoln" or wherever they came from.

Play with that.  You will undoubtedly find references to Rootsweb sites, books for sale, and porn sites
(ok, don't hit me, I just happened to have a shirt-tail with the same name as a famous porn star).

Again, you will get an idea of the wealth of information out there.

Keep an eye on the lists for the names and locations. I survey my primary names about every three months,
just because I know new "stuff" is posted.

I have found many cousins - some pretty "close" and have had much success sharing leads with them.

Now, notice, except for gas, time, and sore fingers, none of this is from the "pay" sites.  I do belong to
all of them, and really appreciate them, but there is so much else out there.

One caveat. Anything you read in a book, of course, is the result of someone's research or imagination.
You still have to "check" your resources.

Good luck,

Pat