[or-roots] No joy in Roseburg -- Aiken-Chapman-Lane

Leslie Chapman khanjehgil at presys.com
Sat May 8 14:52:49 PDT 2004

My trip to Roseburg was a major disappointment in the prime purpose of the
trip which was my search for the Jean Harlow Jones, Asa John Jones, Vera
Holloway connection to Asa John Jones of Canyonville. I found absolutely no
trace of these three individuals in the Courthouse and was further
frutstrated to find no listing of Jean's birth in the News Review in the two
weeks following her birth.

I still have Douglas County Museum and University of Oregon to search for
more info, but was hoping for an easy out like Asa and John's wedding
liscence (I can never spell that word!) with Susan E as witness or whatever,
but not a clue.

Now as to the things I promised the rest of you folks, I will be contacting
individuals off list with what I came up with and what you want me to do
with it, but I had one request list in my files to which I do not have a
name attached so need to know if the person interested is still around to
contact me.

I had three things listed and can only find that I got home with two of
them:

24 September 1871 at house of W. Hurlburt (sp?) joined John C. Aiken and
Ellen D. Chapman in the presence of Viola Howe and Alice Wright

30 June 1858 town of Winchester Simon R. Lane and Sarah J. Aiken in the
presence of Rev.d Corrington G Belknap and Rev.s J M Anderson; signed John
W. York and M G.

So if the party who was interested in these folks can get in touch with me,
let me know do you want to give me your snail mail addy and I can send the
xeroxes or I can scan them and email if you would prefer, or both.

Les Chapman khanjehgil at presys.com
---