[or-roots] Mrs. Shokley's popcorn shop

Cecil Houk cchouk at cox.net
Sun May 9 10:32:10 PDT 2004

Sweet Home in the 1940's

We may never know what made Mrs. Shockley's popcorn taste so good, but we will never forget that it did.

A little hole in the wall on Main Street, just east of 12th Ave., was where  we bought her delicacies.  She also
bred and sold cocker spaniel dogs.

My first dog was "Skippy", named after Skippy peannutbutter, came from Mrs. Shockley.  I will never forget the day that Skippy was killed by a hit and run driver in front of out house on HWY 20 at Foster, OR.

For fear of flames from the Manear family I will not relate the "tail" of Pedro (one of Skippy's pups given to the Virgil Manear family), except to say that I saw Virgil slam the door on Pedro's tail.

What the heck.  All of those popcorn shops in Chicago don't come close to what Mrs. Shockley sold  in the good old days!!

Cecil

Cecil Houk, ET1 USN Ret.
PO Box 530833
San Diego CA 92153
FAX 619-428-6434
mailto:cchouk at cox.net
ANDERSON - BLAKELY - FORD - HOUK - KIMSEY - MOE - RULAFORD - SIMPSON
Searchable GEDCOM: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/~cchouk
My web page MENU: http://members.cox.net/~cchouk/