[or-roots] Meat - PETA - butchering - etc

Chris Havnar jchavnar at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 12 20:19:13 PDT 2004

Hey guys,

As the queen of city, with family farm roots ...

please stop!!  If you want to snipe at each other, PETA or other polarized
sites are available. Blood sports are fun for some folks - but this should
not be the forum.

Can we stop and think of how our ancesters did food?  Safeway was not part
of the Oregon Trail experience, nor of the early pioneers.  But that does
not stop me from learning and reading about their food experience.

I could never, I think, actually butcher my own food, but I've never been
that hungry.  My dad tells me I would change my toon if I ever had to live
thru a depresssion like event.  He did.  His father died when he was young
and as a small child he raised rabbits, and it was the sale of the meat
that was a huge part of the support of him and his mother.

My nieces and nephews do 4-H.  They take their steers to a professional
slaughter house.  But the roasts from their last two animals are the best
things that I've ever had.  The last two animals are currently in the pipe
line, I walked around with my nephew and the two animals a week or so ago.

It is kind of like game hunters .... as a city born/raised/and
super-citified person, I wasn't sure what to make of a brother in law in a
wonderful game year when he asked for assistance processing the meat.  I
wasn't sure I could deal with something that didn't walk, talk, and look
like Safeway.  But I did discover that if it wasn't me taking the meat off
of the animal (deer), but only packaging it into steaks, roasts, or off to
a sausage plant, I was fine.

In my mind .... I was thinking about my forebearers, who shot buffaloe,
deer, etc to cross the plains and survive.

Not all meat is scrink wrapped,
Chris