[or-roots] Darn good food by a dam site

Cecil Houk cchouk at cox.net
Sat May 15 01:23:25 PDT 2004

The next time you travel HWY 20 through Foster, Oregon, stop at The Point Restaurant (at Riggs Hill Road & HWY 20, just east of Foster Dam).  The food is good, and the prices are modest.

Now, as you look across HWY 20 (to the north), you will see what is left of the land I called home 1943-1948 and Foster Lake.  That was part of the Jeremiah Shea homestead that was claimed in the 1860's.

The road is now nice, smooth, blacktop today.  It was tar and gravel when we lived there in the 40's, but what was it like when my great grandfather, Canada Montgomery, drove his freight wagon past this site?

I'm sure there was no restaurant any where near there then, and I'm darn sure you wouldn't make much of a meal with the onions Mr. Shea sold.  (Grandma Houk told me that they stopped to buy onions from Mr. Shea.)

So, stop at The Point Restaurant, at least have a cup of coffee, and look toward the highway.  See that wagon?  That's my paternal grandmother and her father going back to Central Oregon... with onions they bought from Mr. Shea... across the road.

Cecil

Cecil Houk, ET1 USN Ret.
PO Box 530833
San Diego CA 92153
FAX 619-428-6434
mailto:cchouk at cox.net
ANDERSON - BLAKELY - FORD - HOUK - KIMSEY - MOE - RULAFORD - SIMPSON
Searchable GEDCOM: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/~cchouk
My web page MENU: http://members.cox.net/~cchouk/