[or-roots] Pretty boxes

Leslie Chapman khanjehgil at presys.com
Sun May 16 01:10:20 PDT 2004

Cecil;

It is actually Little Boxes on the Hillside;

Little Boxes
By
Malvina Reynolds

Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes made of ticky-tacky,
Little boxes, little boxes,
Little boxes, all the same.
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one
And they're all made out of ticky-tacky
And they all look just the same.

And the people in the houses
All go to the university,
And they all get put in boxes,
Little boxes, all the same.
And there's doctors and there's lawyers
And business executives,
And they're all made out of ticky-tacky
And they all look just the same.

This isn't the original version, the only reference I could find to the Burl
Ives version is in a Q &  A for BART, but down to about the word University
this is the same lyrics, from here on it get increasingly leftist oriented
so considering all the flack we've had I just post here the "historic"
version.

This is genealogy because for me it is evocative of my mother's cousin
Lester Wade who was so fond of that tune, even though he himself was the
epitome of Mother, Flag and apple Pie when it came to politics. I think he
just liked it because it was such a good tune and hang the message.