[or-roots] Chief Joseph: Keep it civil folks!

Connie Guardino census at wi.net
Wed May 19 15:40:45 PDT 2004

Yes, this is a "sticky wicket." You don't give or sell land to one nation that
belongs to other nations. We invaded Indian territory, stole their land, and
descimated their populaltion--all in the name of western expansionism. These
were good "Christian" people who decided "this land was meant for the white
man," when it belonged to someone else. If something (like a tract of land) is
not freely given up, then you kill for it if you have decided it is rightfully
yours. Indians were treated like so much brush and forest: the land needed to
be "cleared" in order for white men to inhabit it. Treating for land was
ridiculous. Indians were forced onto barron, swampy reservations and were
expected to die off from deprivation. Even when an exchange of money or
trinkets was involved, the Indians seldom if ever were paid in full. The legacy
of how we got this land is as shameful as our current "oil war" in Iraq.
America is a warring nation; there is no doubt about that. We will plunder and
kill to get whatever we want--then bow down to God Almightly and thank Him/Her
for "protecting" us from out "enemies." Nuff said.