[or-roots] Grandma's pressure cooker

Cecil Houk cchouk at cox.net
Wed May 19 20:10:58 PDT 2004

I haven't seen a pressure cooker in many years, but my grandmother Rulaford had one that saw a lot of use.  Things cook faster in them because the pressure raises the boiling point of water allowing for higher temperatures to do the cooking.

For those who have never seen one of these things, it is a cooking pot with a lid that locks and seals tightly.  There is a weighted gizmo on the lid that regulates the pressure (and thus the temperature), and prevents the thing from exploding.

One day Grandma was in a bit of a rush preparing dinner, and was cooking a big batch of potatoes in the pressure cooker.  She neglected to relieve the pressure before she removed the lid!

Grandma was lucky.  The lid flew across the kitchen without hitting her.  The potatoes flew straight up and stuck to the ceiling!!

She never did that again.

Cecil

Cecil Houk, ET1 USN Ret.
PO Box 530833
San Diego CA 92153
FAX 619-428-6434
mailto:cchouk at cox.net
ANDERSON - BLAKELY - FORD - HOUK - KIMSEY - MOE - RULAFORD - SIMPSON
Searchable GEDCOM: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/~cchouk
My web page MENU: http://members.cox.net/~cchouk/