[or-roots] Grandma's pressure cooker

Cecil Houk cchouk at cox.net
Wed May 19 22:07:06 PDT 2004

Hi Barbara:

I think that the advent of the micro wave oven made the pressure cooker obsolete.  But our
Grandmothers did not have micro wave ovens years ago.

FYI: I used to pick green beans and strawberries west of Lebanon in the early 1950's.  My back hurts
just thinking about that, but the money was good in those days.  I made at least $5.00 a day picking
those darn beans and berries.

My mother canned lots of things when we lived in the Shea house at Foster (1943-1948).  She did this
on a 3 burner kerosene stove.  There were cherries that came from the trees next to the house (Bing
and Royal Ann), and strawberries we got from uncle Asa Baker's fields in Lebanon.  She also canned
tomatoes, green beans and beets; the other things I don't recall.  She had quite a collection of
Mason jars!

Cecil