[or-roots] Sam Barlow

Arlene Robinson robinsar at molalla.net
Thu May 20 00:49:57 PDT 2004

Hi Judy
By entering  "genealogy of Sam Barlow" in Google I finally found some good
info.  He killed a man with an axe and was convicted of manslaughter!  Also
found an essay written by one of his sons in the 1800's that really details
his road building experience. It was great reading. Also his dad was a slave
owner, and he was totally against slavery. So he left home and didn't see
his dad for years. When they reconciled years later, the dad offered to sell
a slave and give Sam the money. (I think it was $1000.00.a lot in those
days) However he refused to take the money from slavery.  Quite a colorful
character wasn't he?
Arlene