[or-roots] Re: Hermiston help?

Cheryl Fitzsimons fitzcf at hotmail.com
Mon May 24 11:17:26 PDT 2004

Hi Melanie,

I stopped by the Archives today and found the death certificate for Bertha
Jerina Miller.  Here is the information listed on it:

Bertha Jerina Miller lived at 12 Springfield, Ordnance, Umatilla, Oregon.
She had been in the community and the state for 1 1/2 years.  She was
foreign born and lived in the USA for 64 years.  She was married and her
husband was George W. Miller.  He was alive and 78 years old.  Bertha was
born 28 Feb 1871 in Norway.  Her father was Ben Martin Larson, born in
Norway, and her mother was Anna Bertina Gabelson, born in Norway.  The
cities of birth in Norway were not known.

Bertha died 12 Dec 1948 at 11:15 am from congestive heart failure due to
cardiac asthma which she had for 6 months.  She also had untreated diabetes
for 30 years.  She was "bed ridden due to fall one month ago ... fell at
home due to 'dizzy spell'".  The fall was an accident that happened 19 Oct
1948 at her home.

The informant was Albert E. Haris (I think that is what the handwriting
says) and he also lived at 12 Srpingfield, Ordnance.

Bertha was buried 15 Dec 1948 in Hermiston, Oregon.  The funeral director
was Charles J. Burns of Hermiston.

I don't know if George W. Miller was living in Ordnance or not - but Bertha
was not listed as widowed or divorced.  Does Albert E. Haris ring a bell
with you?  Could he be a brother-in law, a son-in-law or something?

You have to remember that any information other than date of death and place
on a death certificate can be incorrect.  But at least it gives you
something to look into.

I hope this helps you in your research,
Cheryl Fitzsimons