[or-roots] Fishing at Foster

Cecil Houk cchouk at cox.net
Sat May 29 19:14:25 PDT 2004

The thumbnail below is of me (left) and Doug with the 36" salmon he caught in the Santiam with his bare hands circa 1946.

to see the full photo go to:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cchouk/rulaford/3/fish.jpg

When Willamette National built its mill at Foster they made arrangements with my father to locate a pump on the northwest corner of our property on the Santiam River to supply water for their mill pond.  The pump was electric of many horse power.  The pipe up to the mill was 12" as I recall.  To insure an ample water level a partial dam of rocks was formed across 3/4's of the river (south to north).  During low river times there was at least 2-3 feet of water behind this dam.

One day Doug and I were down by the river and he spotted a large salmon resting in the pool.  He took off his shoes and pants and waded into the water.  He caught the fish with his bare hands.

The thing was so big that my mother canned most of it... that spoiled.  We didn't get to eat very much of it.

I don't recall that we ever caught a fish in the Santiam with a fishing pole.  There were fish in Wiley Creek, but we never caught any of them.  Now East Lake (near Bend), is another story.

Cecil Houk, ET1 USN Ret.
PO Box 530833
San Diego CA 92153
FAX 619-428-6434
mailto:cchouk at cox.net
ANDERSON - BLAKELY - FORD - HOUK - KIMSEY - MOE - RULAFORD - SIMPSON
Searchable GEDCOM: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/~cchouk
My web page MENU: http://members.cox.net/~cchouk/