[or-roots] Joab Powell ( from Aunt charlotte's book)

DAVIESW739 at aol.com DAVIESW739 at aol.com
Tue Nov 23 12:14:48 PST 2004

Joab Powell was at that Camp Meeting. He thought himself quite a singer,
maybe he was. I thought so anyway. He had a big, big voice that fairly made the
woods echo. One of his favorite songs was "I yield, I yield, I can hold out no
 more to the pleadings of Mercy etc." He sang through his nose and I thought
he  said: "ienal, ienal," etc. and I could not find out what it meant. He sang
 another that went something like this: "Escape for life, with horror then my
 vitals froze." I thought he said: "Scrape for life, with horror then my
victuap  forze." I sang it with him as loudly as I could till Mother heard me and
made me  stop.I remember going to one Camp Meeting. Uncle Abram Garrison was
the  preacher. In those days, preachers were nearly always very poor, few of
them had  even a home, though land was to be had for the staking of it, and
material for a  cabin grew on the land, itself. Everybody was willing and glad to
come to a  "house raising" and there would be a home quite as good as anyone
else had. But  most of the preachers traveled about from settlement to
settlement and stayed  wherever night overtook them. That was not true of Uncle Abram,
he was a farmer  and an unusually thrifty one.

Walt  Davies
Cooper Hollow Farm
Monmouth, OR 97361
503 623-0460