[or-roots] Early Railroad Travel to Summerville, Oregon

Kith-n-Kin kith-n-kin at att.net
Mon Oct 4 10:07:28 PDT 2004

Penny

I am sure you are right about the tracks, but they are probably much newer than the stated time frame.

I have searched every book I have, looked at the same maps as the others, and have come to the same
conclusion.

In the late 1880's he could conceivably traveled on the railroad to within a few miles of Summerville.
And, in passing on the information, he would have probably said, "we traveled from Arkansas to Summerville
by rail" -- you have to remember that many of the small farming communities were not served by rail, but
were close enough for a person to travel by train.

Some, like Jacksonville and (I believe) Mt. Angel, chose *not* to have the train come through. Oops <G>!

Pat (in Tucson)