[or-roots] Early Railroad Travel to Summerville, Oregon

Elizabeth lizabeth at over-land.com
Mon Oct 4 18:05:18 PDT 2004

Hi all

I just talked with my son who's an expert on the Porter Locomotive (written
a book, etc) and he says, "not true" with respect to the narrow gauge and
the logging trains in Oregon.  Unfortunately, he's an airline pilot, and I
caught him in the cockpit getting ready to take off in Baltimore, MD for
upstate, NY.  He'll call me back in a few days and give me more info.
Basically he said that the "local" railroads were trying to compete with UP
(which was nicknamed "the octopus") and the locals built the narrow gauge.

Hope to get more info from him in a few days.

Elizabeth
The Overland Trail
www.over-land.com