[or-roots] Train to Oregon

Kith-n-Kin kith-n-kin at att.net
Mon Oct 11 13:34:19 PDT 2004

Betty,

What is your source for this information?

According to "The Southern Pacific in Oregon" by Ed Austin and Tom Dill, the line was through in 1887.
"Railroading in Southern Oregon and the founding of Medford", by Bert and Margie Webber, notes that
Ashland's "Golden Spike" was driven on December 17, 1887, ". . .connecting the Oregon and California
tracks from the north with those of the California and Oregon, now called the Southern Pacific from the
south. This Action Opened the Pacific Northwest to California and the Southwest; completing a circle of
railroads around the United States." This from the marker erected in 1974 in the Ashland rail yard.

Further, in list of "Towns in Western and Southern Oregon on the Southern Pacific co. (Lines in Oregon.)
1906, are listed:

Ashland, Grant's Pass, Jacksonville, Medford, Roseburg.

There is a picture of the station at Phoenix, Oregon, ca 1920.

And, then, "Jacksonville had been left without a railroad when surveyors decided to run straight up Bear
Creek Valley -- no side trips by way of Jacksonville -- to Ashland. When the people of Jacksonville
finally realized they had been left five miles off the tracks, promoters went to work to get money to
build their own short line into Medford. . .   In January 1890, the Medford and Jacksonville Railroad
Company was incorporated. . . "

Now, maybe in 1925, there was some problem with the railroad, but if so, surprised I didn't hear about it.
Not that *I* was around, you understand <G>, but a murder and the KKK surely would have had *some*
story-telling value.

Uh, I guess I should mention that my grandfather ran the jail, and my grandmother was the chief cook and
bottle washer for same, when the D'Autremont brothers spent some quality time there in Jacksonville. Now,
since that train robbery/murder occurred on the line into Medford (up in the Siskiyous), my guess is that
the line was operating in 1923.

Pat (in Tucson)

Scio vestri atavi est nosce te ipsum
(to know your ancestors is to become acquainted with yourself)