[or-roots] More Census headache

RondaRed at aol.com RondaRed at aol.com
Sun Sep 12 16:22:41 PDT 2004

I wanted to share my Census Headache and the interesting twist.
I searched for a very long time for my James Preston Johnson in the 1880
census in the household of his father. After a while we had reason to believe
his father was Shadrick Johnson. We had an old photograph also that had Doc
Johnson as the name of the man in the photograph. I searched and searched for
James P. Johnson and could find no trace of him anywhere. I finally started
searching the indexes for Shadrick Johnson and found one that was the right age
and was even listed as a physician, but he was alone with no other Johnson's
in  the household. I kept going back to this Shadrick Johnson as I just felt he
was  the right person but I couldn't figure out where his family was. Then I
took a  look at the census image and a light bulb went on. In the household
was his wife  and children but with a different surname. Go figure this one out.
I will paste  the 1870 and 1880 census extraction here.

** 1870 Census, Barry County Missouri, Roaring River, Page #4, Ancestry
Image 4 of 17,
Johnson, Shade    View Image Online
Birthplace:  Kentucky  State: Missouri
Age:  25  County: Barry
Gender:  Male  Township: Roaring River
Race:  White  Post Office: Cassville
Year:  1870  Roll: M593_757
Page:   717  Image: 143
Johnson, Shade, Age 25, White Male, School  Teacher, b. Kentucky
Johnson, Mary, Age 25, White Female, b.  Illinois
Johnson, James P., Age 1, White Male, b. Missouri

** 1880 Census, Eureka Springs, Carroll County, Arkansas, District 226,
Ancestry Image 22 of 24, Page 191B, Household 131, family 262
Dronville  TORBETT   Self   M   Male   W  Age  31   TN   Provisian Store   VA
   TN
Sophia TORBETT   Wife   M    Female   W   Age 26   AR   Keeping  House   KY
TN
George W. SMITH    Other   M   Male   W   Age  26   MO   Barber   MO   TN
William CAMPBELL   Other   S    Male   W   Age 27   TN    Barber   SC   TN
Shadrick  JOHNSON   Other   S   Male    W   Age 36   KY   Physicion    TN
KY
John C. EARL1   Self    M   Male   W   29   NC    Attrney At Law   NC   NC
Mary  EARL   Wife   M   Female   W    36   IL   Keeping House   TN   KY
James P. EARL   Son   S    Male   W   11   MO       KY   KY
Sarah EARL   Dau    S   Female   W   7    MO      KY   KY
Edward E.  EARL   Son   S   Male   W    3   KS      KY   KY
****** I believe Mary Earl, James P. Earl, Sarah Earl, and Edward Earl are
really the family of Shadrick Johnson, and that there was a mistake made on the
 census. Mary, James P. and Sarah all match with Shadrick's  family.