[or-roots] Marriage Certificate Vs Return of Marriage

Nanci Axelton naxelton at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 23 13:09:31 PDT 2004

Now that you have the facts regarding the marriage, write to the county
clerk where the marriage took place and request the certificate and any
other documents related to it.  The fee is nominal compared to information
gleaned, such the names of witnesses (some times relatives) and where they
were married, maybe the house of someone whose name will be important in
your search,  other facts may include, number of marriages, job descriptions
and residences of the individuals. Of course, like census records the time
period and locality of the marriage will determine what type of records were
kept.  If all you want is a copy of the certificate, try the local
Historical Society.  Some city libraries have copies of marriage, death and
divorce certificates on microfilm or some form of record. Don't be shy in
any library, the research section of even the smallest one can be hiding
your treasure.

Wherever you search, Have Fun,
Nan