[or-roots] Acts of genealogical kindness

PS psinjun at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 1 08:32:18 PST 2005

Would this include people who were committed to the Hawthorne Insane Asylum?  I have been trying to locate the remains/cremains of my gr-gr-grandmother who was there in 1901 and subsequently died there.  How do I find specific information?

Leigh

Layne G SAWYER <Layne.G.Sawyer at state.or.us> wrote:
Dear OR-Rooters,

Those of you living in Oregon may have seen the recent articles in the
Statesman and Oregonian about the State Hospital and the efforts to find
appropriate resting places for several hundred unclaimed and unknown
remains.

Below is a link to a news article that appeared in the Washington
Times.

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20050312-115118-2503r.htm

Senator Peter Courtney's staff are working with some volunteer
genealogists to research some of these individuals. I thought some
folks on this list might also be interested in helping with this effort.

The State Archives has death registers for the state hospital. Two of
the volumes have been indexed and are available on our Historical
Records Index, however the last volume spanning the dates 1936-1959 was
not extracted due to lack of resources at the time. The senator's staff
was hoping there might be some volunteers willing to come to the
Archives and extract the information from this last volume.

If you are interested in assisting in this effort please feel free to
contact Tanya Gross at the following e-mail.

Tanya.M.Gross at state.or.us

Also getting the word out to people who may be descendants of these
individuals is another reason for posting to this list serve.

I know this group has been very generous in their assistance to one
another in the past so I thought some of you might also find this effort
an interesting challenge.

Regards,

Layne Sawyer
"List Mom"