[or-roots] Mystery Building - The Answer

Beth Perry Johnston bpjohnston at charter.net
Thu Apr 21 10:17:59 PDT 2005

Thanks to all who responded both on and off the list. The answer makes me
blush as I should have thought of it. It's the Koberg Beach resort that
existed just east of the Hood River city limits. My parents talked of
dancing there, and my mother learned to swim in the crib there. The photo
album has many pictures of Bonneville Dam being built as well as subsequent
pictures of land being flooded, so I'm guessing the mystery picture is part
of the fascination its owner had for that project.

Here's what the Oregon Parks and Recreation web site says:
>Once upon a time -- from about 1915 to about 1950 -- a giant wonderful
>dance hall and outdoor resort existed at Koberg Beach. When the town of
>Hood River wanted to cool off or go ballroom dancing to the sounds of a
>swing orchestra, they went to Koberg Beach. Eventually, the ballroom and
>the beach had to make way for the rising Columbia River when hydroelectric
>dams were constructed. For a complete view of the way it was, go see the
>Koberg Beach exhibit at the Hood River County Museum in Hood River.
>
>Today, Koberg Beach is a wayside that serves busy westbound motorists on
>I-84 with a restroom and a stretch break. An enjoyable beach lies behind
>the great rock which screens its recreational access from the busy freeway.

Again, thank you all!
Beth