[or-roots] Fort Laramie, Wyoming

Kith-n-Kin Kith-n-Kin at cox.net
Sat Apr 23 12:47:41 PDT 2005

Hello, fellow and sister Oregonians --

Because I had posted on this list that my great-grandfather, Henry Laramie Palmer, was said to have been
born at Ft. Laramie on the way west, I received a request for more information from an archaeological
volunteer at Ft. Laramie named Leniegh Schrinar.

They are working on putting together a database of information that "fills out" the history of Ft.
Laramie.

If any of you have unpublished data, or published for that matter, about your ancestors they would like to
have it, because, as she said " . .People had to go through, shop, or stay at Ft. Laramie on the way."

To further quote Leneigh, "I think all the details about people as they were traveling across and what
happened to them is just grand.   As you know many people published diaries,  which as you know are
primary sources.  Unfortunately, not everyone has a diary so facts need to be gleaned the hard way.

It's good to know that the Palmers were herding cattle and that it took them 3 months to get from Ft.
Laramie to Oregon............and the fact that their first location was the Utilla Indian Agency.  Details
about other relatives who traveled before---and also through Fort Laramie---and the possible wagon train
master names are wonderful. These details are what makes a site come alive because the interpretation can
be expanded as the years go by."

Her address is: lschrin at trib.com if you have anything to share.

Regards,
Pat (in Tucson)

Nosco vestri atavi est ingredior intellego vestri ego
(To become acquainted with your ancestors is to begin to comprehend your self)