[or-roots] Help with Thomas Jackson and Robert Merchant

Clyde Gillespie poppy3dr at charter.net
Tue Apr 26 14:06:13 PDT 2005

 Once again, I am in need of expert help.  For those of you who helped me
with (George C. Gillespie land patent), I thank you.  Now, I need help in
finding information on George's father-in-law, Thomas Jackson.

My great-great grandfather, Thomas Jackson, the father of Angeline Fidelia
Gillespie (who married George C. Gillespie) came to Columbia County
(Scappoose & St. Helens) from California's gold fields in 1846 & established
a 320 acre Oregon Donation Land Claim # 3587 near Scappoose.

He had left his wife, Phoebe Jackson, & her two infant daughters Angeline &
Mary Louise) behind in Iowa.

Unfortunately, Thomas died of Smallpox in 1853 & is buried on his land
claim.  I am told that an X marks his burial spot on the map my Mother
saved.  His land claim is now the site of the Fairview Cemetery.  We know
Thomas is buried there, but cannot find his marker. 1853 was a long time
ago.

Here are a couple of paragraphs excerpted from log cousin's log:

"Shortly thereafter (or maybe before), Thomas took off by covered wagon for
the West, & arrived at New Helvetia (Sutter's Fort, Sacramento), CA in 1845.
He couldn't stay there unless he became a Mexican citizen, so in a few
months, headed for Oregon. Thomas arrived in Oregon in July 1846, & then
obtained donation land claim #3587 for himself in Columbia County, OR (near
Scappoose).  Thomas died at Scappoose of Smallpox in 1853.

In the meantime, my great-great grandmother, Phoebe, was making plans of her
own.  In 1847, she joined her sister, Lucretia Merchant, her sister's
husband, Robert Merchant, their children, Andrew, Sarah Jane, & William - &
along with her own two children headed by covered wagon for Oregon.  The
Merchants settled down on a donation land claim in Yamhill County.  Robert
is said to have worked his land, but it is not now known whether he also
practiced shoemaking, the trade he learned as a youth in Scotland."

It seems as though Thomas didn't quite make the 1860 census.  If anyone has
information on Robert Merchant or Lucretia, or any of their children, I
would appreciate that as well.

I truly thank you' all for your help.

Dominos vobiscum

Dr. Clyde Gillespie