[or-roots] emigrant diaries - NEWBY

Kith-n-Kin Kith-n-Kin at cox.net
Tue Aug 9 10:17:47 PDT 2005

>>>Newby, William T., 1820-1884
A 88
Diary and account books, 1843, 1861-1864.
4 vol.
Includes narrative of an overland journey from Westport, Missouri, to Oregon City, Oregon, May 13 -
November 5, 1843. He settled on a donation land claim in Yamhill County, Oregon, and founded the town of
McMinnville.<<<

Does anyone know anything about this family?  When I was very small, my parents would leave us with "Mrs.
Newby" in Heppner or Seneca, sometimes overnight. What a joy that was -- even when my brother took my doll
and I fell off the bed going after him -- broken collarbone at age 3.  She gave us "spirit of camphor"
mixed in honey for sore throats -- I could go on, but I won't.

I'd love to know more about her. I suggest she was an older woman in 1945, which would make her perhaps
the wife of a son of William T.?

Pat (in Tucson)
Nosco vestri atavi est ingredior intellego vestri ego
(To become acquainted with your ancestors is to begin to comprehend your self)