[or-roots] City of Portland resources

Layne G SAWYER Layne.G.Sawyer at state.or.us
Tue Dec 6 15:54:23 PST 2005

Dear List members,

Given the recent queries about City of Portland Jail registers I
thought announcement below might be of interest to some folks. Also the
Oregon State Archives does have some Multnomah County jail registers
from ca. 1880-1918 in our holdings.  Contact the reference staff at:

reference.archives at state.or.us

PORTLAND CITY ARCHIVES AVAILABLE ONLINE

City of Portland Auditor Gary Blackmer has announced the release of
Efiles - a web-based search tool that makes thousands of electronic
images of important city records available to the public. Efiles houses
over 30,000 electronic documents, including all city council ordinances
from the mid-1980's to the present, as well as photographic and
documentary images from the city's archival collection.

Besides the electronic images, Efiles also contains over one million
catalog entries covering city operations and history dating back to
1851.  The electronic documents can be immediately viewed or downloaded.
The catalog entries represent hard copy records stored at the city's
Stanley Parr Archives and Records Center.  Using Efiles, citizens can
contact archives staff to arrange access to the records stored at the
center. Efiles is a dynamic system with both electronic and catalog
records being added daily.

Efiles can be found at: http://www.portlandonline.com/efiles
<http://www.portlandonline.com/efiles>  Type in 'testsearch' to see
the variety of record-types in our system.

Regards,

Layne Sawyer
List Mom
Oregon State Archives