[or-roots] old photos

George Ross ross1948 at bendcable.com
Sun Dec 11 21:43:09 PST 2005

When putting together our family history photos we begin each generational family with the family group sheet.  The photos are added after the group sheet beginning with photos of the parents and then photos of the children.  We also add documents such as birth  certificates, BLM land claims, letters, citations from books, wills, census records, etc. and end with the death certificate(s) and obituary(ies) and photos of grave stones when they are available.  Then we begin the next family.

There is always a question of "how many photos" to add or "is it too much information", but with the older family ancestors we don't usually have a problem deciding what to use.

We use only two acid free squares when we attach our photos.(That's the same when scrapbooking our recent photos, too, as we know the photos won't fall out of the sheet protectors).  We also have acid free clear photo corners that we use if we don't want to have the squares stick to the photo. I have been using black background paper or a tan color for most of my background sheets when doing my heritage albums.  I will use special scrapbooking paper for wedding photos. For my heritage albums I do very simple pages and include the names of the individuals and approximate date and location, if known. I've also seen some lovely pages that should be hung on a wall and not hidden in a book.

There is no "real" way to do your albums.  No moderator is going to ask you if "that's your final answer, do you want to phone a friend or take an audience poll" when you are deciding what to use and where to place things.  Just doing it will allow others the opportunity of looking at an organized glimpse into the past in future years.

Good Luck! Julie